April 30, 2024

Musheng - End

Three days later, "my" Musheng reopened.

It still sells cotton candy, but since I don't know how to make it, I went to the neighboring street and found a vendor who can make cotton candy to work part-time in the shop. Fortunately, this new assistant doesn't charge a high price, and the cotton candy he makes tastes decent, although it lacks a bit of creativity in flavor compared to those made by Mu using sorcery. But it still has a market.

However, the real money doesn't just come from selling cotton candy. Don't forget, I can also read tarot cards. I have mastered this tool to the extent that I don't need to rely on any magic. Using the cards in my hand, I help find lost cats and dogs for those bunglers who come to my door, or offer useful advice to those with worries on their minds. Then, I conveniently receive a few small red envelopes and such. Days like these are not bad at all.

I've placed the Death card that Mu left for me in the bedroom, in the most conspicuous place on the dressing table.

Of course, I've placed it upside down because it always appears reversed.

The reversed Death card — fighting death for life.

This is how I always interpret the card for others.

I feel like I have a talent for business. At least, after a month, Musheng's turnover is quite good. There are far more people coming to me for divination than buying cotton candy.

Many customers who were snatched away by Musheng have returned to Unceasing. They said the desserts from Unceasing are tastier. Although Unceasing and I seem to have no connection at the moment, I am still pleased to hear such comments.

Ren Xiaochen, Little Fatso, and the others occasionally come to Musheng as well, but I believe Mu has indeed erased their memories.

Although they will never remember the hair-rising events that once happened in their lives, and they will never remember me as the demon who risked her all to save them, as long as I see their young and bright faces, and watch them living well in this time, I feel I haven't made too much loss in this business.

One day, it was Fatty and Skinny who came. These two chaps, boorish as ever, asked for my cellphone number using the excuse of buying cotton candy. I ultimately beat them out with a broom as is only natural.

I distinctly heard Fatty, who was scurrying away like a rat, say to Skinny, "How come this lady boss is even fiercer than our lady boss?"

I sniggered and dusted off my hands. How many people can there be in the world who are fiercer than your lady boss.

As for what the future holds, I don't know. Although I have tarot cards, I have never entertained the idea of divining for myself.

Am I afraid? Impossible. The word afraid does not exist in the dictionary of this Sagittarius tree demon.

I just feel that precisely because the future is full of variables, life becomes meaningful; as long as our sincere nature remains unchanged, the goals of our efforts remain unchanged, and our hopeful expectations remain unchanged.

I hung a "rhyming couplet" written with my own hands in Musheng's business area. Er… fine, let's reluctantly call it rhyming couplet.

The first line is: My talents are destined to be useful.

The second line is: I'll get back all the gold I lost.

Horizontal scroll: Take things as they come.

At the end, there's also a smiley I drew.

No matter whether I am Unceasing's lady boss or Musheng's lady boss, no matter whose appearance I change into, I am still me. Tree demon Shaluo, a Sagittarius, born in the snowy December on Mount Fulong's summit.

Of course, I am also sure that a battle with a certain someone is just the beginning.


Translator:

对联(rhyming couplet) is a pair of lines of verse written vertically down the sides of a doorway(see image below). Shaluo's "rhyming couplet" is actually from Li Bai's poem 'Bring in the Wine' (將進酒). 天生我材必有用, 千金散去还复来. A rough translation:

"Heaven has given us talents, we're not made in vain.
A thousand gold coins spent, more will turn up again."

天生我材必有用 has become a proverb meaning "Everybody has something that they were born to be good at." I translated the lines to reflect what I believe is Shaluo's intention.

Example of rhyming couplet

PreviousTOCNext

No comments:

Post a Comment