October 16, 2023

Lion Hunting - Introduction

I was awakened by the alternating howls of Fatty and Skinny.

The moon was half covered by clouds, dyeing the night sky in a mist. A cluster of gardenia flowers in the backyard was trampled at a crazy angle by some barbaric force. Under the eaves of the kitchen, there was a pile of cracked tiles stained with moss lying in disarray. Fatty and Skinny were cowering in the corner, their faces filled with terror. Skinny tried his best to squeeze behind Fatty, pushing and drilling in, saying: "The fat one is delicious! The fat one is delicious!"

I straightened the crooked nightcap on my head and carefully examined the colossus standing in the backyard clearing—

A lion.

Alive.

It stood less than three meters away from me. Its massive body had the most perfectly sculptured lines in history. It was steady and solid, as motionless as a mountain. Its long mane danced in the night breeze, subtly displaying the arrogance and wildness of the king of beasts in its rhythmic undulations.

The lion's fur was the color of gold, filling my eyes with its brilliance.

Even in the dim night, its radiance could not be diminished. If it were daytime, under the blazing sun, this creature before me would undoubtedly be the center of everyone's attention.

In my eyes, a tree demon with a fanatical possessive desire for gold, it was not a lion, but simply a moving, breathing nugget of gold.

The lion's eyes were more captivating than any obsidian I have ever seen, possessing a deep, swirling blackness that seemed to have the power to draw the soul of anyone who met its gaze into a bottomless void.

As a fairly well-traveled tree demon who has encountered countless wonders and oddities, I have to admit that even I was left in awe this time.

A lion as beautiful as this, with a color as dazzling as gold, and eyes as black as gemstones, hey, could it be...

Hold on! Regardless of its origin, my "Unceasing" is just a dessert shop, and I have no intention of transforming it into a zoo.

My shop only welcomes customers who come to taste desserts and enjoy a cup of Fleeting Life tea. It does not welcome a lion, especially not a reckless lion that appeared out of the blue so late at night, smashing my roof tiles and trampling my flowers to death!

The "frozen" lion suddenly shook its head, and its golden mane was like a shining sun. It seemed to take a deep breath, locked its gaze on me, and then approached me step by step.

The lion's face became clearer and clearer, and I could even see my reflection in its eyes. Waves of hot air exhaled from its mouth and nose, gently warming my skin.

The feeling of being approached by a live lion was neither fun nor romantic.

From its sub-zero gaze, I couldn't discern its true intentions. All I could see was a layer of anxiety cloaked in danger and some kind of desire.

It was getting closer and closer to me.

Behind me, Skinny, who was fleeing ignominiously, was yelling: "Boss, hold on! We'll go call 110, 119 and 120[1] for help!!"

The moon was completely swallowed by the clouds, and the last traces of light in the sky vanished...


Footnotes:

[1] Emergency numbers in China. 110 - Police; 119 - Fire brigade; 120 - Ambulance.


Translator:

What a sight it would be! A golden lion...

PreviousTOCNext

No comments:

Post a Comment