October 12, 2023

Fish Love - Part 8

The tea in my cup is no longer hot.

"I'm done talking," Cangtong Kai furrowed his brows tightly. "That day, I woke up in the abandoned construction site outside the villa area, covered in blood, but none of it was mine. Tutu was lying next to me. There was a deep wound on her fins, and no matter what medicine I used or how good of a doctor I found, her wound wouldn't heal. Moreover, her body became smaller and smaller, and she stopped speaking, just like an ordinary fish, and she didn't even recognize me anymore. This situation has been going on for a month. And..." he paused, his voice becoming even heavier, "Xuan has been missing for a month. I dispatched innumerable people to search for him, but we still can't find his whereabouts."

"Do you still have that feeling of getting drowsy right before midnight recently?" I asked a strange question.

"No," Cangtong Kai responded, clearly unhappy with my unrelated question. "Since that morning, I've been watching over Tutu every night."

"After that, there shouldn't have been any more intruders bothering you, right?" I set down my tea cup, speaking confidently.

"How do you know?" He looked thoroughly puzzled by my confidence.

"Do you really want to save Tutu?" I never pay attention to this kid's questions; I only ask questions to others and don't give them a chance to ask me.

"Of course!" Cangtong Kai's voice rose an octave, "Otherwise would I need to come here and talk so much nonsense with you!"

"Paws out." I sat up straight, suddenly becoming very serious.

Cangtong Kai stared blankly at me, unmoving.

"I said, put your hand out!" I grumpily gave him a cold look.

He hesitated for a moment, then extended his right hand in front of me.

I grabbed a marker pen and quickly wrote a single word on his palm.

Cangtong Kai withdrew his hand and looked at it with suspicion, "Let go[1]?!"

"The mystery of many things in the world lies in the word 'let go.'" I stood up and stretched lazily, "Kid, what you need is to grow up and then you'll understand the meaning of this word."

"I don't understand what you're talking about! I'm looking for the purest water!" Cangtong Kai stood up angrily, as if he had been fooled.

"Do you love Tutu?" I asked again, ignoring his anger.

"Of course!" he answered bluntly.

"How do you define the act of love?" I continued.

"Keep her by my side and protect her from any harm," he blurted out.

I laughed: "That's it?"

"What else?" Cangtong Kai's voice was full of hostility.

I sighed deeply and shook my head: "Cangtong Kai, you are just too lonely and afraid of losing. You think it’s love, but in fact, it’s just your own selfish desire."

"You don't know anything! That’s nonsense!" Cangtong Kai protested, his handsome face turning red.

"Actually, someone around you has already given you the best demonstration of what love is." I said as I prepared to end our conversation. Turning to leave, I smiled at him and said, "The purest water has always existed in your memories. Think carefully, maybe there was a year when, on some beach, a simple child was moved to tears because someone gave him a birthday present. And that child from back then understood the true essence of the word 'let go' better than he does now."

I took one last look at the white fish in the fish tank blowing bubbles and thought to myself that it should survive. Cangtong Kai can't be such an ignorant fool.

"Monster, aren't you afraid I'll tear down your shop?!" Cangtong Kai yelled from behind me.

"If you dare to tear down my shop, I will tear apart your cat bones." I looked back and smiled sweetly. So what if your Cangtong family is the richest in the country; so what if you’re the King of Cat Demons. Back in the day, didn’t your great-great-grandfather once help me catch mice!


Footnotes:

[1] Fàng (放): to place; to release; to free; to let go; to let out.



PreviousTOCNext

No comments:

Post a Comment