March 8, 2024

Bone & Stone - Part 7

As I was leaving, Zhong Xiaokui ran up to me, winked at me slyly, and said, "Auntie Shaluo, COOL!"

"Hey, didn't I tell you to call me sister instead of auntie when there are outsiders around?!" I rolled my eyes at the kid.

"I won't next time!" Zhong Xiaokui stuck out his tongue.

"Oh you!" I flicked his forehead with my finger and smiled, "You're quite like your biological aunt. In the future, you will definitely become a great person, just like her."

"What? My biological aunt? And great?" Zhong Xiaokui was puzzled.

"Because both of you have kind intentions. For the Zhong family, that's quite important." I smiled at him, ignoring the question marks all over his face, and turned away.

Yes, I have a close relationship with the descendants of that geezer Zhong Kui. I know Zhong Xiaokui's parents, aunt, grandparents, and even great-grandparents. However, if we were to talk about the story of the Zhong family, it would be another lengthy legend. Today, I'm too tired to reminisce. I'll talk about them another time when there's a chance.

I walked quickly, but Gu Wuming still caught up with me and held onto me without letting go.

"You're leaving just like that? What about my sister and that guy?" he questioned.

"They are on Welcoming Moon Mountain. They'll be very safe within my seal," I replied, shaking off his hand. I didn't like the icy touch of his bones. "And by the way, you really know how to seek reinforcements. Your sister and that guy were trapped on the mountain, but instead of looking for anyone else, you specifically came to find me, causing me..."

"You're the only person I've heard of who can be found the fastest and is the most capable of helping us," Gu Wuming said with a lingering fear. "Fortunately, it worked. Fortunately, I've heard about your achievement in consolidating Duan Lake for Water God Zimiao. Do you know that with just a breath of your true energy and a single strand of hair, that lake has been free of floods to date!"

"Alright, alright, let's not talk about those old stories," I impatiently interrupted him.

"Okay, well, although your seal makes it impossible for people from the Underworld to take action against them, isn't it a disguised form of imprisonment for them? Exchanging freedom for safety doesn't seem right, does it?" he said, quickly blocking my way as I started to leave.

I stopped walking and looked up, mocking, "Now you realize the importance of freedom?"

"I've always known it!"

"You don't understand," I said without mincing words. "True freedom isn't about how much space you have to move; it's about how much of your frame of mind can be understood. Those who aren't understood feel restricted, even if they are in the vast universe. On the other hand, those who are understood, even if they are in a small space, have their own boundless world."

Gu Wuming remained silent, and it was evident that he was quite bewildered.

"Never mind; you, an oaf, won't comprehend this," I shook my head. "Anyway, your sister and Ah-Sheng are fine now. I know you care a lot for your sister, but don't try to control her life. Let her be. Also, don't drop by my shop without notice; you might scare away my customers!"

"But I didn't really lose that bet. That stone isn't a human!" he dejectedly shouted behind me.

"Actually, whether it's a human or not doesn't depend on the outer appearance, it's about what's in here," I pointed to my heart, then swiftly rode a cloud towards the city center. I hadn't been in the shop the whole day, and I had no idea what kind of trouble Fatty and Skinny might have caused.

I think, after Ah-Sheng's injuries get better, I'll open the barrier and let him and Gu Qiqi decide for themselves where to go. Or, should I forcefully keep them within the barrier for some more time, until I negotiate and settle on a decision regarding Ah-Sheng with that Lord of the Underworld guy?

Alternatively, is it possible to find a way to dispel the magic in Ah-Sheng's eyes? It should be possible. Just because he wants to catch a glimpse of the person he likes results in the death of that person; this sort of fate should not exist in this harmonious society.

Anyway, no matter how, I once again meddled in something today. On this hot day, instead of staying in the shop and enjoying watermelon, I came here and spent the whole day dealing with this matter, even using up a bit of my true energy. It's truly a loss-making business. I need to self-reflect when I get back.

The moon is much clearer now than before, hanging round and full and quite close to me. I leisurely navigate the sky, and Welcoming Moon Mountain is getting farther  and farther away from me. Tonight, this mountain should belong to two other people, no, it's a young woman who has grown up with a skeleton appearance and a male stone with a human body. Perhaps they may never truly see each other, but what does it matter?

Well, this summer night isn't too bad after all.


Translator:

The Greek characters in this book surprise me: Narcissus, Medusa, River Styx in this arc, and the Bailis who are centaurs in the Lion Hunting arc, also from Greek mythology... This is the first time I've seen a Chinese author include distinctly non-Chinese myths in a fantasy genre work. 

I'm really excited for the next arc, Jiu Jue! The lake-blue-haired Wine God was introduced in the prologue, and I am eager to learn more about him.  

PreviousTOCNext

No comments:

Post a Comment