April 13, 2024

Jiu Jue - End

"I occasionally still wonder whether I made a mistake back then." Jiu Jue sat across from me, holding a chicken leg for a while without taking a bite. "If I'd let them drink that poisoned wine, they'd probably be living well in the heavenly realm now, being the powerful Gold-armored God."

"Does being a god mean being happy? I don't think so." I slurped on my noodles. I love the noodles at this small restaurant. Jiu Jue smiled and did not respond.

"The most important thing is that everyone must be clear about what they should do in the present. I don't appreciate clinging to the past or daydreaming about the future." I swallowed the noodles, my words a bit slurred. "In short, I can bet with you that even if time were to rewind, you would still stop the two people, Su and Li, from drinking the poisoned wine, and they would still choose to fight for their country. The reason for this is that, unconsciously, you all understand the importance of 'now.'"

"Heh heh, so you've never been interested in glimpsing your own future." He stuffed the drumstick into his mouth, looking out the window, trying hard to look like he was enjoying the food.

"Hey, don't be like this. Even if you can't find them for the time being, the last time you met them, you waited for a thousand years. In my opinion, counting from the Tang Dynasty to now, it's also been about a thousand years, and I think you should meet them soon." I patted his shoulder encouragingly.

His expression abruptly changed as his gaze fell on his right shoulder. Then, his face contorted as he shouted at me, "Can't you wash your hands before touching me!" There were five oily fingerprints on the expensive brand-name shirt he'd recently purchased.

I fled without even drinking the noodle soup with Jiu Jue in hot pursuit. He yelled as he ran, "Pay for it!"

Outside the restaurant, a tour guide was leading a group of tourists toward us. Among the tourists, a young man and woman were awfully busy quarreling, "I just stepped on your foot. Is it necessary to make such a fuss?! Acting like a sissy!"

"Try letting me step on your foot, you damn bi*ch!!"

"How dare you call me a bi*ch!"

"So what if I do? You gonna hit me?!"

"You think I won't?!!"

For a time, the entire street was in chaos because of them. It was a very lively scene.

I found that Jiu Jue had stopped chasing me. He stood rooted on the side of the street, staring blankly at that man and woman as if spellbound. Okay, I know, I'm famous for being a golden crow's beak[1], saying something and making it happen. I guess I'll have to go home alone this time.

Before leaving Xi'an, I bought a replica of the Dancing Horse Holding a Cup silver flask. Jiu Jue's birthday is next month, and this gift is just right. The main thing is that it's cheap...

Sitting in the cabin, I flipped through a magazine out of boredom. Gradually, I felt something was off. A sensation of being watched gripped me. I suddenly looked up, glancing around, but the passengers around me were either reading or sleeping. There was nothing unusual. Is it because I ate too many noodles and indigestion was affecting my mental state?

I shook my head and quickly closed my eyes to rest. I just hope the plane will reach the destination soon. When the cat's away the mice will play. During my absence, Unceasing was left entirely to the care of Fatty and Skinny. I can't help but worry. I just hope that upon my return I don't find my shop burned down, or flooded, or sealed up by the relevant authorities... Amen.


[1] Crow's beak means doomsayer; jinx. Golden crow's beak is one who says auspicious words; not a soothsayer.

Translator:

With this, we have completed all of the story arcs for various demons. I like some stories over others, but all nine have had me cry at some point in the story. I read the chapters several times while translating, editing, and publishing, and I still cry at the poignant moments/messages.
I hope you enjoyed these mini-stories.
The next three arcs will follow Shaluo's narrative.

PreviousTOCNext

No comments:

Post a Comment