April 28, 2024

Musheng - Part 9

Life is so wonderful. I've always firmly believed this.

You see, overnight, I inexplicably went from being Unceasing's lady boss to Musheng's lady boss.

Honestly, I'm still a little sad. All the gold I saved has now become someone else's possession.

Even the two boorish men, Fatty and Skinny, have now become someone else's subordinates.

No wonder Mu said I would lose everything.

It took me three hours by car to get back to the city. Being unable to ride the clouds is really inconvenient.

Standing in Musheng's business area, I looked at the cotton candy that hadn't been sold yet and started planning how to make a living using this little store. Dying because I can't return to my real body is a fairly normal death, but if I starve to death because I don't have money to eat, that'll be truly stupid and cowardly!

I started by making an inventory of all the fixed assets in the store. I'll sell whatever is valuable for cash and use it for some small investments or something.

Of course, I've also considered seeking help and such from guys like Jiu Jue. Even if they can't break this malicious curse for me, at least they would be willing to keep me like a sponger, right? But I quickly dismissed this idea. Firstly, that treacherous fake tree demon would definitely be keeping a close eye on me; it wouldn't be right to involve my friends at this time. Secondly, Jiu Jue might not believe what I say. Because all demons determine identity based on "scent." Demons are ever-changing, but each demon's "scent" is as unreproducible as DNA. How can I convince Jiu Jue that a body without Shaluo's scent is the real me? It's too troublesome.

Most of the time, I prefer to solve problems independently.

I hung a "Closed for Business" sign at Musheng's entrance, giving myself some much needed time to quietly think about what to do next.

That night, I cooked a packet of instant noodles I'd dug out from the refrigerator, and thought it was rather appetizing. I never thought this kind of junk food was delicious before. It seems that living with a different identity isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm so good at comforting myself.

During the day, Mu's words to me – "That's what I called you many, many years ago" – suddenly popped into my mind. Her expression didn't look like she casually cooked it up.

Do I know her? And we met "many, many years ago"? Why do I have no recollection at all?

As I pondered, a sudden headache struck. Tossing the chopsticks aside, I crawled into the bed in the inner room and lay down.

Her bed, like mine, was clean and had a faint fragrance. The pillow was also fluffy and soft, and lying on it felt just like lying on my own pillow.

After all the turmoil, I sank deeply into slumberland as an "ordinary human" for the first time.

"Big Sister Shaluo, take me with you!"

"That's not possible. We're different."

"Why are we different? Aren't we born in the same place?"

"I told you, we're not the same."

"What's different? You can do it, and I can too! I want to live freely like you, Big Sister!"

"Staying here is better for you."

"Lies! You're lying! You're lying! If you can do it, why can't I!"

I was awakened from my midnight dreams by two voices arguing incessantly. That dialogue, which came out of nowhere and had been hidden for who knows how many years, suddenly evoked a memory that I had forgotten.

I got out of bed, opened the window, and stretched my groggy head into the cool breeze, letting it hit my face.

Mu… Mu…

Suddenly, it dawned on me.

Why I couldn't see through this woman, why I couldn't detect any demonic aura from her, and why I felt close to her from the very beginning...

At that moment, I finally knew the answer.

There are very few tree demons in this world who can cultivate into human forms. Precisely because it's so challenging to achieve, those tree demons who manage it usually possess higher abilities than other demons. Their ability to discern the identity of others based on scent is also the most powerful. However, tree demons are unable to perceive the scent of their own kind, especially those who grow in the same land as themselves; their scents are often similar.

There was no moonlight outside the window, and the dark clouds in the sky were getting thicker and thicker, as if they were about to fall from the heavens.

My heart suddenly felt like the sky I was seeing; so heavy that it was about to fall.

Mu is the same as me, has always been the same as me, a tree demon.

PreviousTOCNext

No comments:

Post a Comment