May 18, 2024

Dragon & Tree - Part 2

He raised his head and sighed deeply, "Yes, if I hadn't already died by my own brother's blade and become a wandering spirit, I would have definitely given you a human form and taken you away before Zimiao found you."

"Are you poisoned or something?" I forced myself to calm down, telling myself I must not be confused and must not listen to this madman's ramblings.

"You must remember how many people died because of you when you were still the 'Sacred Tree' on Mount Fulong's peak." He spoke as if telling a distant fairy tale, with the calmest and most serene tone, "I watched from the clouds opposite to you, seeing you indifferent to the deaths of those stupid humans. Seeing you calm and composed, I knew I had found a companion. Did you never wonder why no one from the Underworld ever bothered you in the long time you were worshiped as a deity? After all, so many people died because of you."

I recalled what Zimiao had said the first time he saw me – If you keep acting recklessly, it's only a matter of time before the Underworld takes you.

I thought he was just trying to scare me, because indeed, no one had ever come looking for trouble with me.

"It's because I dealt with those pesky people from the realm of the dead who thought themselves as fair and just for you. I didn't want them to ruin your talent and unique beauty." He said with regret, "What a pity our fate wasn't enough, and the person who truly brought you into this world wasn't me. When I returned to Mount Fulong, you had already been away for so long." He paused and assessed me with a special deep gaze, "The most unfortunate part is that when I found you again, you had become just like those vulgar and worthless creatures. Zimiao, who gave you life, and all those who 'helped' you really deserve to die for ruining you."

"You're a nutcase! I don't know what you're talking about!" I was upset, but my brain was desperately trying to piece things together.

"Have you never told her any of this?" He looked at Ao Chi and shook his head, clicking his tongue. "You're wrong there. The first rule of marriage is to be honest with each other."

"You have been expunged by me, by the entire East China Sea Dragon Clan, by the whole world," Ao Chi stated firmly. "A person who has never existed has no right to be widely publicized. Don't sully the word 'honesty.'" He then lowered his head and whispered to me, "About this, I will..."

"No need to explain. If you don't tell me, it must be for my own good, so I don't need the details." I rolled my eyes at him, "It's not like you just met me yesterday."

He couldn't help but applaud again, "Now that's two hearts beat as one. I'm a little touched." He lowered his hands and changed the subject, pointing at the puppet-like humans around us. "I really want to know if you can move these humans as you moved me."

I became more and more puzzled by this madman's words and blurted out, "You took away my real body first, then let your female lackey cheat me out of my human form, used poisonous mist and skeleton birds to hunt demons, and now you've collectively led us to this hellish villa. Don't tell me all of this is just to show me how boring and shameless you are. What is your purpose?"

"I just don't want the atmosphere to be too tense. Having a chat is more relaxing," he shrugged it off. "And don't use 'purpose' to describe me; it should be 'wish.' What is my wish?" He turned his head to Ao Chi, "My dear little brother, you know it best."

"Impossible," Ao Chi said decisively. "Don't even think about opening the door to the Axis of Time." His head, always held high, slightly lowered for the first time. "Why do you still refuse to change even a bit after so many years? Isn't even losing your life enough to make you come to your senses?"

"That's because this world has never shown me any progress." There was iciness and deep disappointment in his eyes.

He snapped his fingers, and the askew LCD screen hanging on the wall with cracks all over it suddenly lit up with images.

PreviousTOCNext

No comments:

Post a Comment