May 30, 2024

Tree Demon - Part 2

Because he was an immortal, it was his natural duty to always show compassion for the common people. However, magical creatures have never been included in "common people," a rule set by the righteous way of the heavenly realm for tens of thousands of years.

I regretted my "liking" for him just now, wondering how he would treat a "naughty and unruly" tree demon next, ruining my shallow cultivation, or immediately administering justice on the spot?!

After all, as long as he was willing, he could destroy me as easily as blowing off dust and even gain a reputation for eliminating demons for the people.

What will be the consequences of me meeting him today?

"I'm here and I can't let you do as you please."

His casual remark made my heart cold.

As I expected, demons have no right to refute immortals. Once they offend the other party, only their own lives will be at stake.

The "Sacred Tree" on Mount Fulong's summit was about to cease to exist.

In an instant, I went from being the one who killed to being killed. The change of roles was so rapid that it was beyond all my imagination. Phrases like "a murderer must pay with his life[1]", "what goes around comes around," and so on that I heard from humans were now gloatingly jumping into my heart.

Although I was dissatisfied with my life, I still cherished my life. Being able to see, hear, and breathe is better than to be ignorant and silent in the dark.

I was not "naughty and unruly" enough to scoff at death, so I was genuinely afraid, mixed with resentment towards him.

"Don't let me die in too much pain, merciful immortal."

They were angry words but also the truth, my first and last words to him.

I was afraid, but I will never bow down in supplication.

There was an unfathomable smile in his eyes.

Clear and agile water ripples spiraled out from his slender fingers, with shimmering scales of light twinkling within. Circles upon circles, layers upon layers, elegantly and slowly converged into his palm, blossoming into a colorless lotus.

There was a lotus pond on the mountainside, adorned with verdant green and vibrant red in the flowering season. However, not a single of those flowers could compare to the one in his hand.

People reflect flowers, and flowers reflect people[2].

Despite being in such dire straits, I still had to admit that this was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen in my life.

Immortals are immortals; even their lethal weapons must be perfect.

No wonder humans worship them, and no wonder so many dream of becoming one of them.

"Go."

He opened his hand, his lips moving slightly.

The most beautiful lotus flower in the world spun around and flew towards me.

He finally made his move.

I knew I couldn't escape, so I steeled myself and stared directly at the "flower" now hovering above my head, waiting for the end of my life.

Unintelligible incantations passed from his mouth to my ears over and over again, confusing my mind.

The lotus flower suddenly stopped spinning, emitting several thin and transparent white lights before descending straight down, plunging into my body.

I felt "cold" for the first time.

A power beyond my control spread from the roots beneath the soil throughout my body, wave after wave of increasing strength, as if it was trying to strip my primordial soul from my real body.

Despite the absence of wind, every branch and leaf trembled, making a rustling sound.

My vision seemed to be veiled with water, becoming increasingly blurred.

Is this a symptom before a demon's death?!

It should be. Thankfully, it's not as painful as I imagined.

Moonlight scattered on the ground, illuminating flowers, plants, and strange rocks, along with the white-clad immortal smiling before me was the last sight I saw in this world.

Amidst the chaos, I couldn't distinguish between life and death.

It felt like I had a dream, dreaming that I had transformed into a human form, laughing and jumping, excitedly running on the ground that was hard on my feet...

Something was pressing against my whole body causing pain!

Huh?! That's not right.

How could a tree demon feel "pressed against"?!

My consciousness, which had drifted far beyond the clouds in the sky, gradually gathered together again, urging me bit by bit to open my eyes—

Since I could remember, I had never seen the soil beneath my feet from such a close angle.

Yellowish sand holding various sizes of blackish stones filled my eyes; every inch of my skin truly felt the roughness and warmth coming from the earth.

What a peculiar sensation, one I had never experienced before.

However, the moment of curiosity and excitement was instantly replaced by incomparable surprise.

Pushing myself up, I sat upright.

A few pebbles pressed under my palm hurt me.

Quickly retracting my hand, I gently rubbed it.


[1] This is part of the saying "A murderer must pay with his life as a debtor pays with money."

[2] 人映花,花映人. I thought it was a line from a poem, but it's a poetic expression that conveys the mutual reflection and interaction between people and flowers. Something like "human emotions or characteristics are reflected in flowers, and conversely, the beauty or essence of flowers is mirrored in humans."

PreviousTOCNext

No comments:

Post a Comment